About Us

California DAR volunteering

The original land grant for Rancho San Vicente y Santa Monica was awarded to Governor Alvarado, a Mexican army officer, on December 20, 1839, long before California U.S. Statehood on September 9, 1850. The 31,000 acres was divided into many cities, encompassing the communities of Santa Monica, Pacific Palisades, and the Temescal Canyon area, before the City of Santa Monica was incorporated in 1886, consisting today of almost 5400 acres.

The Santa Monica chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, was organized on May 17, 1906.  Mrs. Matilda Brooks Dudley was the chapter’s first Regent.  The chapter’s name was chosen because meetings were held in the Santa Monica area; however, some members were from other areas as well.  Local residency is not a requirement for membership in any chapter.

  On May 2, 1933, a new chapter broke off to form the San Vicente Chapter. The Temescal Chapter was organized on May 15, 1955. Early settlers on the edge of Temescal Canyon met to found Pacific Palisades. The word “Temescal” derives from the Aztec “Tema,” meaning to bathe, and “calli,” meaning house, bathhouse, or sweathouse. The Temescal Chapter merged with the Santa Monica Chapter on June 13, 2016.

The Santa Monica Chapter meets on a Tuesday or Saturday each month except for July, August, and December. If you would like to attend one of our meetings, please contact us.

We welcome any woman for membership who is over 18 years of age and who is descended from a man or woman who aided in achieving American Independence during the period between April 19, 1775, and November 26, 1783.